This article may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may be paid a referral fee at no cost to you.
This Ice Cream Play Dough makes a great sensory activity for kids.
One thing I really love about kids is their imaginary play. They can go on for hours pretending to be pirates, princesses or spaceman. Give them the tools and the games they come up with are so much fun. I love watching my kids when they are in imagination mode and seeing the storylines that they create. One of my kids favorite games to play is restaurant. They love making items of food from playdoh and pretending to sell it at a restaurant. This Ice Cream Play dough is a fun way for kids to “sell” at their imaginary Ice Cream shop. They will have hours of fun playing with this Ice Cream playdough. This recipe technically is edible– but they might get a bit of a sugar high from it. 🙂
Ice Cream Play dough Supplies:
- Icing – Any color or flavor that you would like. We used chocolate, vanilla and strawberry for this Neapolitan Ice Cream Play Dough.
- Powdered Sugar
- In a bowl, put 1 cup of icing of your choice. (Note: I used the regular frosting. You can try whipped icing, but I have not used it yet so I’m not sure how it will affect the texture of the play dough.)
- Next, mix your powdered sugar in. I start with 2 cups and slowly work my way up. Generally, I use close to 3 cups.
- This is so much fun for kids to make. When you start mixing the powdered sugar in, it feels so soft and ‘cloud-like’. They really love it!
- You will know you have enough powdered sugar mixed in when you get your desired texture and it is no longer sticky.
- Repeat the process for any other ‘flavors’ of ice cream you would like to make.
- For other fun flavors, you can always tint vanilla frosting and add in some fun extracts such as mint. For the vanilla, chocolate and strawberry flavors, no extract is really needed. They smell just like the real thing already from the icing!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Before playing with it again, let it come to room temperature. If it has hardened some, just add a drop or two of olive oil and it will go back to being moldable. 🙂
This is a great sensory item that leads itself to tons of pretend play! Bust out cones, sprinkles, and dishes for an ice cream party! Here are some fun pretend play items for the Ice Cream Play dough that your kids will love.
Plastic Ice Cream Dishes
Plastic Old Fashioned Ice Cream Dishes
Banana Split Dishes and Umbrellas
Play Dough Tools
Ice Cream Scoops for Kids
Melissa And Doug Ice Cream Cart
Ice Cream Pretend Food Set
Little Tykes Food Truck
If your kids love making Playdough, they’ll probably love these slime recipes.