One of my favorite things about getting a movie on Blu-ray is skipping right to the special features. Before re-watching the movie, I watched the Finding Dory Blu-ray special features.
There is a reason that Finding Dory is being called the Biggest Animated Movie of All Time. If you watched this movie you will already know that the story is amazing, the look and design is incredible and you will fall in love with the characters. I love watching movies as a family and Finding Dory is definitely one of our favorites. My five year old has been asking me for months when we can get the Finding Dory movie so when it came in the mail, I think she watched it on re-peat. And yes, I joined her.
I think that one of the first things that you will notice about Finding Dory is the design. Pixar Animation is truly amazing and the work that they produce is incredible. Finding Dory is beautiful to watch. Everything from the bright colors, the character designs and the way the water moves brings you deeper into the great story telling. Characters like Hank are done in such amazing detail. I am in awe every time I watch the movie for how beautiful it is to watch.
Disney Pixar movies are known for their great story telling. Finding Dory is no different. The themes that you learn and the emotions that you feel make this movie great. I love that finding Dory is a sequel because you have characters that you already love that you get to go on an adventure with again. I enjoyed learning more about Dory's story and it helped me to grow to like her character even more.
One of my favorite themes in this movie was the importance of Family. Your heart will be warmed, you will want to be a better parent and you will recognize that family really is everything. I loved though, that in this movie you realize that family is so much more that mom, dad, sister and brother. The friends that are closest to you and the friends that you meet along the way also become family. It is important to stick together because family is so important.
Finding Dory Blu-ray special features
The Finding Dory Blu-ray special features have so much great content on them. I love watching the special features because seeing the behind the scenes helps me to appreciate the movie more. Here are some great special features that you will find:
- Theatrical Short: “Piper” – A hungry sandpiper hatchling ventures from her nest for the first time to dig for food by the shoreline. The only problem is that the food is buried beneath the sand where scary waves roll up onto the shore.
- Marine Life Interviews (All-New Mini Short) – Meet the inhabitants of the Marine Life Institute as they remember our favorite blue tang.
- The Octopus That Nearly Broke Pixar – Pixar’s “Team Hank” unravels the challenges, frustrations, and rewards of bringing to life the studio’s crankiest and most technically complicated character ever.
- What Were We Talking About? – This piece showcases the complex routes Dory’s story took as the filmmakers worked to construct a comprehensive narrative involving a main character with short-term memory loss.
- Casual Carpool – What’s it like to commute with the voices of Marlin, Charlie, Bailey and Hank? Join “Finding Dory” writer/director Andrew Stanton as he drives Albert Brooks, Eugene Levy, Ty Burrell and Ed O’Neill to work.
- Animation & Acting – How do you create a connection between a human audience and a fish? This behind-the-scenes look behind the curtain examines the process of constructing believable performances through a unique collaboration between the director, voice actors and animators.
- Creature Features – The cast of “Finding Dory” share cool facts about the creatures they voice in the film.
- Deep in the Kelp – Disney Channel’s Jenna Ortega guides us on a research trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium to show how far the “FindingDory” crew went to make Dory’s world feel real.
- Skating & Sketching with Jason Deamer – “Finding Dory” character art director Jason Deamer talks about how he got to Pixar, how he draws the characters in the film, and how falling off a skateboard teaches you lessons you can use in art and life.
- Dory’s Theme – A spirited discussion among the composer, music editor and director of “Finding Dory” about the musical elements that shapeDory’s quirky and joyful theme.
- Rough Day on the Reef – Sometimes computers make mistakes. Here you’ll see some of the funny, creepy and just plain bizarre footage the crew encountered while making “Finding Dory.”
- Commentary – Director Andrew Stanton, co-director Angus MacLane and producer Lindsey Collins deliver their personal perspective on “Finding Dory.”
- Deleted Scenes (introduced by director Andrew Stanton)
- Losing Nemo – While watching the stingray migration, Dory starts to follow two fish that remind her of her parents, leaving Nemo all alone.
- Little Tension in Clown Town – In this alternate version of the film, Dory tries to "follow her fins" to her parents, but ends up in a strange place with even stranger fish fashion.
- Dory Dumped – In this early version of the story, Dory's parents had short-term memory loss as well.
- Sleep Swimming – Dory begins to talk and swim in her sleep, revealing what seem to be clues to her past.
- Meeting Hank – Wandering the Marine Life Institute's elaborate pipe system, Dory happens upon the abode of Hank the cranky octopus.
- The Pig – Frantically navigating the pipes of the Marine Life Institute in search of her parents, Dory crosses paths with a terrifying cleaning device.
- Starting Over – Director Andrew Stanton presents four different versions of the movie’s opening scene to illustrate the filmmakers’ search for the best way to introduce Dory’s backstory and to connect this new film to “Finding Nemo.”
- Tank Gang (Digital exclusive) – After a close encounter with a squid leaves them separated from Dory, Marlin and Nemo unexpectedly meet up with the Tank Gang from “Finding Nemo,” who make it their mission to get to the Marine Life Institute … by any means necessary.
- Hidden Seacrets of Finding Dory (Digital exclusive) – Take a deep dive to catch secret Easter Eggs throughout the movie. And just like Hank, they’re hidden in plain sight.
What better way to celebrate Finding Dory then with COOKIES! Find the recipe:
Visit the official FINDING DORY website and buy your Finding Dory Blu-ray, available now.