These blueberry donuts are soft and full of blueberry bursts. Perfect as a light breakfast or indulgent snack.
I know that you are thinking, blueberry donuts? But blueberries are not in season! And you know what? You are totally right! They are not in season, but want to know something? Frozen blueberries are the ones we are using for this recipe! And want to know something else? When a recipe is as good as this one you know you need to make it every week (or at least every month) because it's so good it can't wait till blueberry season.
Comments aside, we need to talk about how delicious these blueberry donuts are. Becuase oh gosh my friends they are to die for as in so good I just don't want to stop eating them ever! They are jam packed with delicious flavors and are incredibly easy to make. the best thing about them in my very humble opinion is that you don't need to add anything else to them, the blueberry glaze is like a built in jam. But if you want to take it to the next level you can also incorporate some blueberries in the batter.
The other great thing about them (told you this recipe is SO GOOD!) is that they are baked so they are healthier than any other donut you'll find around. Which makes them feel less like a guilty pleasure comes breakfast time.
You can have them as is or top with some sugar glaze (just mix a bit of confectioner's sugar with some heavy cream a splash of milk and a hint of vanilla) or you can top them with white chocolate. All of those options are just as delicious and as packed with flavors, so it really depends on what you are craving that day.
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ Cup butter
- ¾ Cup sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Cup buttermilk
- ½ Cup blueberries
- ¼ Cup milk
- 1 Cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tbsps cornstarch
- Sugar glaze
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, mix the butter, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Incorporate the eggs, buttermilk, blueberries, and add one cup flour and mix well.
- Proceed to add the remaining flour and mix until no lumps are left.
- Scoop a donut tray with the batter.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
- To prepare the blueberry glaze, blend the blueberries, cornstarch, and milk.
- Pour the mix into a saucepan over low heat, incorporate the sugar, and cook for about 3 minutes (or until the sugar is completely dissolved), set aside to lose heat at room temperature.
- Remove from the donut pan from the oven and let them cool down for 5 minutes.
- Dip one side of the donuts in the blueberry glaze.
- Garnish with the sugar glaze and top with some blueberries.
- Serve and enjoy.