Did you know that Dr. Seuss Day is on March 2nd? This is the perfect day to bake up some Dr. Seuss One Fish Two Fish Cupcakes, print up some Dr. Seuss bingo cards, and read some classic Dr. Seuss Books with your kids. Dr. Seuss wrote over 60 books in his career so you will have many to choose from. Some of our favorites are One Fish Two Fish, Horton Hears a Who, The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, and so many more! Dr. Seuss Day is a great day to have some fun and enjoy the love of reading with your kids! I hope you enjoy our cupcakes!
Dr. Seuss One Fish Two Fish Cupcakes
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES (from the back of a Hershey’s cocoa powder container)
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
3/4 cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 t vanilla
1 cup whole milk
DIRECTIONS FOR CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Grease cupcake pans or line with cupcake liners.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs to the butter, one at a time, beating well with each addition.
6. Stir in the vanilla.
7. Add half of the flour and half of the milk and beat well.
8. Add the rest of the flour and milk and beat until well-incorporated.
9. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
10. Bake 15-17 minutes at 350 degrees or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
11. Let cupcakes cool in pan for 5 minutes.
12. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to finish the cooling process.
13. Ice the cupcakes when completely cooled.
INGREDIENTS FOR YELLOW BUTTERCREAM ICING
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 t salt
1 T vanilla extract
Yellow food gel/color
2 T cold milk
Garnish- Swedish fish of various colors
DIRECTIONS FOR YELLOW BUTTERCREAM ICING
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter.
2. Add half of the sugar and mix well on medium speed with a mixer.
3. Add the rest of the sugar and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Add 2-3 drops of yellow food gel until you reach your desired color of bright yellow (matching the color of the Dr. Suess book)
5. NOTE: to thin icing, add 1 T milk and to thicken icing, add 1 T powdered sugar.
6. Using a decorating tip and disposable bag or Ziploc bag, pipe the frosting onto each cupcake.
7. Garnish with Swedish fish.
Note: This recipe will yield 14-16 regular size cupcakes.
Happy Dr. Seuss Day! Enjoy these Dr. Seuss One Fish Two Fish Cupcakes!
Check out our Dr Seuss FREE Bingo Printables: