This Easy Acorn Squash Sweet Bread is moist, delicious and perfect for fall.
I had never cooked with Acorn Squash before, so I was a little intimidated. I found that it was easy to work with and had a delicious flavor! We have done a lot of cooking with homemade pumpkin puree and this Acorn Squash can be substituted in pumpkin recipes.
Don't be intimidated by making your own puree's because it is very easy and they taste so much better than store bought. We had three mini Acorn Squash that I prepared to make this Easy Acorn Squash Sweet Bread. Here are the simple directions for making your own puree.
- Cut Acorn Squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Place Acorn Squash halfs on cookie sheet.
- Add a small scoop of butter and a tablespoon of brown sugar into the hole of each Acorn Squash.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes until soft.
- Pour melted butter/brown sugar into Blendtec blender. Scoop the squash out of the skin and add to blender and mix until smooth.
Even though your puree mixture is warm, I immediately made the bread. You also could put your puree into a mason jar until you are ready to use it.
Here is our Easy Acorn Squash Sweet Bread Recipe.
- 2 cups Acorn Squash Puree
- 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- Fall spices to taste- nutmeg cinnamon and cloves
- 1/2 t. baking salt
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In small mixing bowl mix puree, applesauce, sugar, vanilla and eggs.
- In large mixing bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients until completely mixed.
- Spread into bread pan.
- Bake for 50 min- 1 hour. Makes 2 loaves.
Do you love Squash? Here are 32 recipes made with squash.