Caramel Apple Strudel
4 tbsp of butter for simmering apples
4 cups of Fuji, Pink Lady or other favorite baking apple
2/3 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
Pinch of ground cloves
1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1 stick of melted butter for brushing fillo dough
8 sheets thawed Kontos fillo dough
Jar of caramel topping, warmed
French vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel apples and slice them about 1/8-inch thick.
- Gently melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a pan with lid. Add the apples and saute, covered, for about 10 minutes until the apples soften.
- Combine the softened apples with brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and optional nuts.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each of the 8 fillo sheets with the melted butter, placing one on top of the other.
- When you have all your buttered fillo neatly stacked, spoon apple mixture along the long edge of the stack, leaving a 2-3 inch border at each end.
- Fold the fillo over the ends first, then roll up long-ways like a jellyroll.
- Place the rolled strudel on a sprayed cookie sheet (with folded part underneath), brush with melted butter.
- With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in the fillo.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown
- Before serving, drizzle – zig-zag fashion – the warmed caramel topping over the top. Serve warm with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream.
Tip: When working with fillo dough, keep a clean, damp dishtowel handy to place over unused sheets and prevent them from drying out.
This recipe and photo was provided to A Sparkle of Genius with permission from Kontos Foods. To learn more about Kontos Foods and its array of flatbreads and other baked goods, visit www.kontos.com. You can also find Kontos Foods on Twitter @KontosFoods or on Facebook at www.facebook/KontosFoods.