This article may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may be paid a referral fee at no cost to you.
Chicken Burrito Bowl
For the Chicken:
- 4, 4 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Any other of your favorite spices to season (optional)
Red Burrito Sauce:
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon masa flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium, chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears fresh corn OR 1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium, organic corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bell pepper, any color(s), diced
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- Jalapeno or other hot pepper, diced (optional)
- Garnish (optional)
- Reduced-fat Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Season chicken lightly on both sides with sea salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin or any other spices you prefer.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake approximately 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Allow to cool, and then shred the chicken with a fork.
- Red Burrito Sauce:
- In a medium skillet, heat the corn oil and unsalted butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and jalapeno and saute until onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the masa flour and whisk together. Allow to cook 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the chicken broth; constantly whisk to ensure no clumps of flour.
- Adjust heat to medium-low. Add tomato sauce, granulated garlic, lime juice, chili powder, paprika, oregano and pinch of sea salt. Stir together, cover, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Burrito Bowl:
- While the sauce is simmering, add lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro to the cooked brown rice and blend together.
- Add the blacked beans, corn, bell pepper, tomato, cumin, garlic and jalapeno to a medium sized bowl and mix.
- Divide the rice into 4 portions. Divide the black bean and corn mixture into 4 portions.
- Add a layer of ¼ of the rice to a bowl, top with ¼ of the bean and corn mixture. Add a shredded chicken breast and drizzle approximately ¼ cup of red burrito sauce over the entire dish.
- If desired, add 1 tablespoon of shredded, reduced fat cheddar cheese and garnish with fresh cilantro
This photo and recipe is provided to A Sparkle of Genius by Bistro MD. Check them out online for other great recipes!