This article may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may be paid a referral fee at no cost to you.
I am the kind of girl that looks forward to getting her favorite movies on Blu-ray because that means that I can dive into the world of special features. I love learning all about the behind the scenes features that give a new level of understanding into a movie. I am always so fascinated by what great lengths they go through to make a movie amazing. There are so many details involved every step of the way to make the finished product. I love being able to learn more about those steps and how the movie came to be. Here are 7 Fun Facts about Disney’s Into the Woods:
7 Fun Facts about Disney’s Into the Woods
- Production on “Into the Woods” began in September, 2013 at Shepperton Studios and on locations throughout England.
- Stephen Sondheim has received eight Tony® Awards, more than any other composer in history. He has won seven times: Best Music and Best Lyrics for “Company” (1971); and Best Score for “Follies” (1972), “A Little Night Music” (1973), “Sweeney Todd” (1979), “Into the Woods” (1988) and “Passion” (1994). His eighth honor was a 2008 Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre.
- The foundation of the Woods set, built on Stage H at Shepperton Studios, was made up of 2,000 tons of soil, over 600 ferns, acres and acres of ivy and countless pallets of moss and turf.
- 95 percent of the trees used on the Woods set were real trees, which included 30-foot pine trees and hundreds of 25-foot oak tree branches, the leaves of which had to be removed and replaced with artificial ones (so they would last longer). The remaining five percent were full-sized whimsical trees constructed from plaster.
- There were four cows cast to play Milky-White. Their names were Tug, Diamond, Two Fold and Pearl.
- Rapunzel’s hair in the film is 20 feet long. The braid is made from real hair and weighs almost six pounds.
- The music for the film was pre-recorded over a two-week period at Angel Studios in London with a 56-piece orchestra, composed of some of the best musicians from the London Symphony Orchestra and London Philharmonic.
INTO THE WOODS is rated PG and is now playing in theatres everywhere!