If you have already seen Big Hero 6 then you are sure to have enjoyed the short film shown before the movie. I always look forward to going to a movie and have the extra short film to enjoy. We have two dogs in our home so I was especially able to appreciate this short film. But I think that pet owners and non pet owners both will appreciate the hard and emotion that this short film portrays.
About the short film: “Feast,” a new short from first-time director Patrick Osborne (head of animation, “Paperman”) and Walt Disney Animation Studios, is the story of one man’s love life as seen through the eyes of his best friend and dog, Winston, and revealed bite by bite through the meals they share. This short film takes us through multiple emotional situations in this mans life. Good and bad and we see through the eyes of Winston how these moments are expressed really, through food. This short is very sweet, beautifully made and so much fun. If you haven’t seen Feast yet, this is a fantastic short film “followed by” 🙂 an AMAZING movie, Big Hero 6. I highly recommend checking them both out during Thanksgiving break! Here are some cute shots from Disney’s Animated Short Film Feast:
While in Los Angeles, we had the really fun opportunity to interview Director Patrick Osborne and Producer Kristina Reed of Feast. I found this interview to be a really fun one because its not your traditional Disney story. Director Patrick Osborne was an animator at Disney. He worked on the short film Paperman which is one of my favorites. At Disney, anyone is able to pitch a short film for consideration and Patrick Osborne’s was chosen. I love the opportunities that studios like Disney offer their employees. These really is an amazing opportunity and they produced such a cute short film.
So where did the idea come from? Director Patrick Osborne received the inspiration from an App. One Second Every Day app allows you to record a short moment from every day and compile it into a video. Patrick Osborne used this app and made a video of his dog eating and from that the idea of Feast was made. It was fun talking to the producer and Director because you could really tell that they were passionate about their short film. Here are some fun facts that we learned about Disney’s Animated Short Film Feast:
- Artists would come and work on the short film for short periods of time in between other projects so they went through a lot of artists. There were about 20 people on the animation staff.
- Every Friday they had Feast Friday where they would serve one of the food items from the short film and talk about where they were on making the short film. Anyone who ever worked on it was invited to come.
- The chose iconic food that people recognized and related to so they could still relate to the dog.
- The dogs name is Winston and he is a Boston Terrier. They chose that dog because it wasn’t a type of dog Disney had used before.
- Feast is made up of both hand drawn & CG elements.
- Production for Feast took about 53 weeks.
You can enjoy Disney’s Animated Short Film Feast at theaters now before the fantastic movie, Big Hero 6. For now, enjoy this peek at Feast: